Carronade The Yankee Sailor Carronade

The Sea is a choosy mistress. She takes the men that come to her and weighs them and measures them. The ones she adores, she keeps; the ones she hates, she destroys. The rest she casts back to land. I count myself among the adored, for I am Her willing Captive.

FLASH TRAFFIC:
I've relocated to a new Yankee Sailor.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Iraq: Potential NATO Member?

Just when I thought Israel was the most unlikely prospective NATO member on the map, a dark horse candidate has appeared: Iraq. Worse yet, the folks at American Thinker believe it's a good idea. The Thinker says:

It is not obvious today that NATO would welcome an Iraqi proposal, though the US and UK would be wise to support it. Turkey has long been a NATO member, so that there is a precedent.


"Not obvious?" I think we have the first candidate for understatement of the year.

And, other than the fact that Turkey has a Muslim majority, what are the other parallels? This criteria would make Iran and Yemen good candidates, too.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any weirder in the world, someone proves me wrong. I give the Iraqis three chances: slim, fat and none.