Carronade The Yankee Sailor Carronade

The Sea is a choosy mistress. She takes the men that come to her and weighs them and measures them. The ones she adores, she keeps; the ones she hates, she destroys. The rest she casts back to land. I count myself among the adored, for I am Her willing Captive.

FLASH TRAFFIC:
I've relocated to a new Yankee Sailor.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Return of the Military Meme

It's been a while since I've done one of these, but I got a good response from both bloggers and readers last time, so I'll fire another down range.

The job I asked for the last time I talked to a detailer: Ship's Navigator.

The job I got the last time I talked to a detailer: Ship's Navigator. I've been lucky with this. Every job I've wanted in the Navy, I've gotten (sometimes for better or for worse). Maybe it's because I've been realistic in writing my dream sheets, or maybe I've been just plain lucky.

Job I liked the most: Tough call between navigator and first lieutenant. Being a navigator, you get to spend a lot of time on the bridge, driving and teaching JOs how to drive. Plus, you get an office with windows -- lots of them. However, as first lieutenant I got to work with probably the best people in my career, and got to play with boats, too.

Job I hated the most: Main Machinery Room Officer. It wasn't really the job that I hated, it was a certain individual for whom I worked that poisoned the well. At one point he threw a big, three ring binder at me (this wouldn't go over well today, but in those days it was tolerated). My immediate superior told me to take that as a good sign, though. The last guy in the job had to dodge a chair.

Three jobs I really would like (or would have liked) to have:

1) Captain of a warship. I know it seems like a no-brainer, but surprisingly enough most junior officers don't aspire to the job. As for me, however, God willing some day you can call me "Captain."

2) Naval Attache. Get to see how other sailors do things, go to lots of parties and drink on the company dime. Oh, and collect a paycheck, to boot.

3) Special Boat Unit Craft OIC. Fast boats in brown water - very cool. If I can't get the Captain job, I wouldn't at all be disappointed with command of one of the new riverine squadrons.

So, that's that. Now for the fingering of who gets to carry this torch. How 'bout Chap, Lex and Starboard!!!