Carronade The Yankee Sailor Carronade

The Sea is a choosy mistress. She takes the men that come to her and weighs them and measures them. The ones she adores, she keeps; the ones she hates, she destroys. The rest she casts back to land. I count myself among the adored, for I am Her willing Captive.

FLASH TRAFFIC:
I've relocated to a new Yankee Sailor.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Good On You, Sailor!

From the Navy News Service:

A deployed Sailor aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Tarawa (LHA 1) donated in February the dream home he was building to a family left homeless by Hurricane Katrina.

Information Systems Technician 1st Class Lamarr Hawkins, having built a home to rent as an investment, instead decided to give the home to Bernice Stepter and her daughter Dianne, who is deaf and blind.

“It was the right thing to do,” said Hawkins. “If I wanted to be of some help, this is what I could do."
...
“It was a bad situation, and I felt like it was my duty to do something. Even though it was a tragedy, I am thankful I had the opportunity to help,” said Hawkins.
As if being deployed overseas during wartime wasn't doing enough. Oh, and it's one more piece of evidence that gator sailors are the best people in the Navy.

Open posted in Mudville and Argghhh!