Carronade The Yankee Sailor Carronade

The Sea is a choosy mistress. She takes the men that come to her and weighs them and measures them. The ones she adores, she keeps; the ones she hates, she destroys. The rest she casts back to land. I count myself among the adored, for I am Her willing Captive.

FLASH TRAFFIC:
I've relocated to a new Yankee Sailor.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Navy to Redesignate DD(X) (.mil only)

Big Navy is changing the name on the DD(X) program:

The Navy is expected in the coming weeks to rename its DD(X) combat ship to DDG-1000.

According to a source, Navy Secretary Donald Winter has signed out a letter approving the name change. However, no reason was given as to why DD(X) will now be known as DDG-1000. The lead ship will, however, continue to be called the USS Zumwalt, in honor of Adm. Elmo Zumwalt, who served as Chief of Naval Operations from July 1970 to July 1974. Zumwalt died in 2000.
Why is this necessary? Oh well, I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the weeks to come. There is good news in the article, though:

Additionally, the Navy is expected to officially name the second Littoral Combat Ship (LCS), the USS Independence (LCS-2)...
I like it.